“Someday I’ll get all the perfect smoothie ingredients together to make the ultimate smoothie and live forever.”
Some days you will find me skulking the aisles of Nutrition Shops trying to discover the latest “herb-du-jour”.
Like the pharmaceutical industry, the “nutraceutical” industry rolls out the latest and greatest natural supplement each year. Each one is touted to “cure all ills”. And because over the years I have attracted a patient base that likes things that are “natural” and eschews the “chemical” treatment of illness, it behooves me to stay abreast of things.
I remember when melatonin was the new craze. (that was twenty five years ago). It’s still around because it has benefit for sleep disorders and some other things. Then there was SAM-e, Echinacea, Saw Palmetto, and on and on. It’s as hard to keep up with as the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference – the Bible of Prescription Drugs).
But it’s worth it. Someday I’ll get all the perfect ones together and make the ultimate smoothie and live forever.
“In the meantime, here’s the ‘perfect smoothie’ I drink every morning.”
(warning: this is not a dairy-free Vegan-style smoothie… )
- a big fistful of dark green kale
- spatula-full (about 5 oz) plain Greek yogurt
(I use whole milk yogurt… but I burn a lot of calories on the bicycle)
- 1/2 to 1 banana (depending on its size)
- palm-full of blueberries
- 6 strawberries
- heaping tablespoon of freshly ground chia seed
- 1 tsp of orange-flavored fish oil (Carlson Brand)
- three or four big chunks of fresh pineapple
- heaping tablespoon of Univera Meta-Greens
(“BarleyGreen”, “GreensPlus” or other freeze-dried green powder extract will do)
- tablespoon or so of unpasteurized natural local honey
- one scoop of concentrated whey protein powder
- and… a big scoop of ice (about a cup and a half)
An alternative to ice:
- put all the above ingredients >minus the honey and fish oil< into ziplock bags in the freezer prior to use
- add some almond milk to help thin before blending
Blend all this stuff in a Vitamix (if you can afford one), or a Magic Bullet or Ninja Blender until smooth. It will fill up a large Chick-fil-A styrofoam cup and maybe a little more!
You’ll never have to eat again.